Some amusing or odd features:
- Blasphemy and racism are forbidden, along with the usual porn. This probably covers some fortune(1) jokes.
- You can get permission to look at porn for research purposes, but there is no such exemption for reverse engineering software (so no software security research).
- You are not allowed to “access, download, store, or process” comercial spam, or anything that causes “annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety”.
- Durham ITS takes a cut of research grants which have provision for computing costs.
- Durham claims all “intellectual property” you create and must be involved in any commercial exploitation.
- For the purpose of these regulations, “any remote IT facilities are deemed to be [Durham] University IT facilities”.