12:30: I notice lots of odd forged email, which looks like it’s a virus but unlike one i’ve seen before. Save it to a file so I can scan it with a proper virus scanner on another machine. I come up blank. I check http://vil.nai.com/vil/newly-discovered-viruses.asp but none of the descriptions match this virus.
12:50: I send a few copies to NAI’s virus reporting address. Almost immediately get an autoreply saying that they also do not know about this virus. I check my filters, and there appears to be lots of it going through and being zapped on the way because of its executable attachment.
13:50: I get a second reply confirming that this is a new virus, with an extra.dat for detecting it. I test the extra.dat on the file I submitted and it duly detects the virus in each message.
14:00: I install the extra.dat in my email filters and it starts spotting copies almost immediately.
14:30: I send another message to NAI saying that I’m using the extra.dat in anger, and that it appears to be a fast-spreading virus.
14:50: I get a reply thanking me for my feedback and saying that they’re keeping a close eye on this threat.
15:20: The threat is upgraded from Low to Medium. So far today we’ve filtered 4600 infected messages, of which 650 have been Bagle (60% of viruses since 14:00).
15:50: I do a run of my infected host finder. Someone in the University managed to get infected at 15:00.
16:05: 1000 copies now deleted.
17:10: Automated DAT file update gets the official fingerprint from NAI, so the extra.dat is no longer necessary. Still, it has been good for 3 hours and 1800 copies worth of protection.